Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Edith Brooks

What kind of woman was Edith Brooks?  I will tell you the truth, there have not been words invented that express the greatness of this woman.  She loved God with her whole being and she loved others with an unconditional force.  She was strong in her beliefs but didn't force them on others.  She respected people and because of that pure and honest respect she earned more respect than some Presidents ever receive!   The impact of her life for the kingdom of God is great!  Thousands upon thousands upon thousands were directly affected by my grandmother and her life long sweetheart, Bruce Brooks.  From those thousand many more thousands have been affected and from those are even more thousands.  If only I could see through God's eyes I would see the MASS amounts of people who not only serve him but continue in Kingdom work because of the influence of my grandparents.  Every single Kingdom impact that I will ever make is because of them for I am here because they found love in each other and decided to build on that love.  She may not be walking on this earth now but her legacy will live on!  It will move forward forcefully for we are the carriers of that legacy!  During the last week of her life her only concern was the salvation of her family, neighbors and loved ones.  She cared not for anything else other than meeting us all on the other side.  It was our honor and privilege to care for her the last couple weeks.  Of all human beings that I have ever knows THIS woman deserved so much more than we could even give.
Early this morning we knew her time was coming to an end and we gathered around her bed to sing hymns.  She always wanted to pass in her sleep and God honored that request.  It was a beautiful, peaceful passing that I only thought happens in the movies.  After she took that last breath my aunt came in and sat down to read a letter that my grandmother had written to her children.  As Sue read this letter and we looked at her outer earthly shell I became even more overwhelmed by her greatness.  The letter was eloquent  and moving!  She not only had a letter to be read to all her children but she had written a letter to each of them individually.  WOW.  Who gets this?!?!  It was like even in her passing she was prepared to KEEP giving to her loved ones.  Caring for them in their grief and making sure that they would have something in hand to keep and read anytime they wanted to remember her loving and wise words!
I have a sense of complete gratefulness and awe at how God let things unfold in her passing.  If ever there was a PERFECT passing this would be it!  At her side till the end!
My grandparents both had one desire.  To serve God and serve him only and to love people and put them before yourself.  They dedicated their lives to the will and purpose of God.  I am honored to be theirs!  Honored to have their blood coursing through my veins!  

Bruce Brooks passed on July 30, 1995 followed by Edith Brooks on March 23, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Eloquently and lovingly said. Beautiful thoughts from a beautiful young woman. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete